Smiley Faced Eggs
Kids have fun with this recipe by creating smiley faces with eggs. It’s also good for coordination and fine motor development. Serve with whole grain crackers and vegetables for a balanced meal or snack.
1. Carefully peel the eggs. To do this, gently hit them against a hard surface and discard the pieces of shell that you take off.
2. Cut the eggs lengthwise in half. Remove the yolks.
3. Place egg yolks in a bowl and mash them with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and celery and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Fill the center of each half egg with this mixture.
5. Layout the filled eggs, peas, tomato, and parsley on a clean work surface accessible to the children.
6. Let the children pick an egg and make a smiley face using peas as eyes, tomato as mouth, and maybe parsley as hair:
Source: Nicole Fetterly, RD