10 Healthy Lunch Ideas
1. Whole grain pita pizzas (half of a pita with lower fat cheese, quartered cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms and/or broccoli) served with water.
2. Spaghetti (whole grain spaghetti pasta, served in tomato sauce with spinach and red peppers) topped with shredded cheese and served with water.
3. Chicken vegetable rice soup served with ½ cup (125 mL) milk.
4. Black bean and quinoa salad (mixed with chopped tomatoes, cucumber, corn and fresh squeezed lime juice and olive oil) served with ½ cup (125 mL) milk.
5. Butternut squash soup and a canned salmon wrap (half of a whole grain tortilla, with salmon, green peppers, chopped celery and mayo) served with ½ cup (125 mL) milk.
6. Taco salad (lettuce, pinto or kidney beans, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, avocado and/or peppers) served with lower sodium corn chips) and water.
7. Chicken sandwich fondue with yogurt dip (chunks of baked chicken, chunks of whole grain bread, quartered cherry tomatoes and fresh (or thawed frozen) berries to dunk in yogurt sauce), served with water.
8. Half of a hummus or avocado and cheese sandwich (on whole grain bread) served with raw vegetables and water.
9. Egg salad wheels (hard boiled eggs chopped, mixed with small celery pieces and mayo) rolled in a whole grain tortilla (or spread on whole grain bread). Served with cranberries and thinly sliced apple and ½ cup milk (125 mL).
10. Egg muffin (layer grated and diced veggies like sweet potato, carrot, bell pepper, mushroom, broccoli in greased muffin cups then fill with beaten egg, sprinkle with cheese if desired, bake until puffed and set) served with orange wedges and water.
Packing Lunches Video:
Adapted from healthycanadians.gc.ca and the Government of Yukon Childcare Act and Regulations