Tips for Selecting New Recipes
Looking for some new recipes? Here are some things to think about when searching the internet or combing through recipe books.
- Consider any themes coming up (Seasons, holidays, weekly units etc)
- Ask the children what they are interested in making.
- Look for recipes that include:
- Lots of fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Low sodium
- Low in added sugar
- Follow these portion sizes for recipes:
- Cookie is not more than 6 cm (about 2.5 inches) in diameter
- Loaf slice is not more than 2 cm (about 3⁄4 inch) thick
- Muffin is the size of a tennis ball or smaller
Adapted from Healthy Beginnings