Children will follow the pumpkin from seed to table. They will learn about the vegetable or fruit by reading a book featuring it, drawing it, talking about where is it grown, what it looks like and eating a dish that uses this vegetable or fruit.
Featured vegetable or fruit
A library book featuring that vegetable or fruit (see below for a list of ideas)
Blank construction paper
Scissors, markers, and other various art supplies
How to Play
- Bring in the featured vegetable or fruit.
- Read the children a book that mentions the vegetable or fruit.
- Ask the children to describe the vegetable or fruit using words, or writing a poem.
- Draw the vegetable or fruit, cut out and decorate using art supplies.
- Prepare the vegetable or fruit into a soup, muffin or smoothie.
Try this activity with several vegetables and fruit such as apples, bananas, beans, peas and zucchinis.
Adapted from Healthy After Schools