Spiced Cornmeal Pudding
Move over pie and make room for a new dessert at Thanksgiving! This light, flavourful pudding has all the warmth and spice of a pie but it’s easier to fit in after a big meal and it’s way less work. It’s also a lower sugar, whole grain, protein-packed dessert you can feel good about eating any day of the year.
1. Heat oven to 275F and grease the casserole dish.
2. Place soy beverage or milk and oil in pot and heat gently on medium low, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and burning on the bottom.
3. Combine cornmeal, flour and salt in small bowl. Stir in molasses. Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the cornmeal to thin into a smooth paste then add this slowly into the hot milk, stirring to combine and thicken.
4. Temper the eggs, meaning warm them up gently, by adding a small amount of the hot milk mixture. Then slowly add the egg into the pot, whisking well. Add the sugar and spices and remove from heat.
5. Pour into the prepared casserole dish and bake in the oven for 90 minutes until set. Allow to cool 30-60 minutes ideally before serving with fresh fruit like berries and a dollop of yogurt.