5. OFFER SAFE FOOD AND BEVERAGES.
Attention to food safety and quality will support good health and prevent foodborne illness. It is also important to take steps to reduce the risks of choking and food allergies.
BRITISH COLUMBIA FOOD PREMISES REGULATION:
- Governs the approval and operation of food facilities including licensed child care facilities. Contact your local health authority population and public health program and speak with a Licensing Officer or Environmental Health Officer to determine if your facility requires a permit.
BRITISH COLUMBIA CHILD CARE LICENSING REGULATION:
- Establish a program to instruct and assist children to practice rules of health and hygiene. heart
- Ensure that any surface used for food preparation, storage or consumption is not used for changing diapers. heart
- Young children should always be supervised while eating. heart
- Wash your hands – after using the washroom, changing a diaper, after handling raw meats, poultry and seafood, and before cooking or eating.
- Clean and sanitize tables, counters and cutting boards, and knives.
- Choose food from approved food sources.
- Handle food safely.
- Supervise children when eating and modify foods to prevent choking.
- Ensure all staff have proper food safety, first aid and allergy training.