Well-being & belonging (physical activity); Literacy (vocabulary, numeracy).
4 different coloured objects such as pieces of paper or blocks
This activity aims to develop the fundamental movement skills of locomotion (running), coordination (jumping, hopping), and balance.
How to Play
- Designate each corner of the room as a different fruit and its corresponding colour, e.g., apples (red), oranges (orange), bananas (yellow), grapes (green).
- Assign each child a fruit that was chosen in Step 1.
- Have children go to the corner of the room that is designated for their specific fruit (e.g. oranges go to the orange corner).
- When you call out a specific fruit, everyone in that corner runs to the centre of the room, completes a specific skill the number of times requested as fast as they can, and returns to their corner.
- Repeat this process using different skills and different combinations of fruit, e.g., jump 5 times, spin in a circle 5 times, hop on one foot 5 times.
- When you yell out “fruit salad!” all the children run to the centre as fast as they can, complete a specific skill the number of times requested and return to their designated corners.
Adapted from Hop, Skip and a Jump.