4 cups (2-3 tbsp. each for 12 children)
Food processor (or blender)
Juicer or reamer
Bowls, to serve hummus
2 x 28 oz. (796 mL) cans
2-4 tbsp. (30-60 mL)
Water to thin pureed chickpeas
3 tbsp. (45 mL)
Tahini paste (optional)
2 tsp. (10 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL)
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika (optional to garnish)
6 cups (1.5 L)
Assorted vegetables for dipping (e.g. cucumber, peppers etc)
- Open chickpeas, rinse and drain well.
- Using a food processor (or a blender), puree until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add water and blend together.
- Peel the garlic clove(s) and cut in half or use garlic press. Add to the food processor mix.
- Juice the lemons then add to chickpeas with the tahini paste, cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth and well blended.
- Carefully remove the hummus from the food processor and scoop into individual bowls/dishes. Be very careful of the food processor blade.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika if you like.
Tahini paste is made from ground sesame seeds and can be found in the specialty section of grocery stores.
Recipe adapted from Project Chef
Note: Childcare facilities with 8+ children should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food