4 cups or 16 servings (1/4 cup per serving)
Small bowls for individual servings
Spoon to mix
1 x 28 oz. (796 mL) cans
Yellow onion, quartered
1 tbsp. (15 mL)
Jalapeño chili, seeded and ribs removed (optional)
Bell pepper — red, green, orange, or yellow chopped fine (optional)
- Wash vegetables.
- Pour half of the can of tomatoes into a blender, and add the jalapeno pepper, onion, cilantro leaves, lemon juice and salt. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Pour in the second half of the can of tomatoes and blend briefly.
- Adjust seasonings to taste by adding more lemon juice and salt.
- Add optional diced green pepper.
- Let the salsa rest for 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavours to blend.
- Serve with baked pita chips, baked tortilla chips, or on top of a baked potato.
Modifications: Fresh salsa can be made without using a blender. Finely chop tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and peppers and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice and salt and mix well with a spoon.
Recipe taken from allrecipes.com
Note: Childcare facilities with 8+ children should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food