Accessing Dietitians

Getting credible information

Not all nutritionists have the same education and training. To be sure you’re accessing credible information, always look for a Registered Dietitian (RD). Registered Dietitians attend post-secondary education for 5 years including a hospital or community-based internship. They also have to be members of the College of Dietitians of British Columbia, a governing body that ensures public safety.

Call 8-1-1

Health Link BC Dietitian Services are available for free from anywhere in the province. Call Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and speak to a Registered Dietitian. They even have specialists in pediatrics, allergy and cancer. Their resources on nutrition and eating are also available on their website: 

Other ways to access Registered Dietitians:

•    Try your Public Health Unit—some have Registered Dietitians that are focused on infants, children and youth. They may be able to provide support if you have a child with special nutrition needs in your care.

Private Practice Dietitians—these consultants may be able to provide support in meal planning or give talks for parents.

Visit Dietitians of Canada’s Find-A-Dietitian database to find support in your community.