It is as easy as 1-2-3!
Step 1: Start with a vegetable and/or fruit.
Step 2: Add one choice from the other three food groups.
Step 3: Serve using the preschooler portion sizes suggested in Eating Well with Canada’s Food Guide.
Here are some healthy snack options that contain two food groups.
Snacks served with fruit
- Homemade muffin and applesauce
- Rolled oats with cinnamon and chopped fresh or frozen berries
- Fresh fruit and plain yogurt
- Whole wheat bannock and fresh fruit
- Banana slices with nut or soy butter
- Low-sugar breakfast cereal with orange wedges
- Smoothies made with fruit and yogurt or tofu
- Monkey tails (bananas dipped in plain yogurt and frozen)
Snacks served with vegetables
- Hard cheese chunks and vegetables with or without low-fat dip
- Sliced mushrooms and cucumber with ½ cup (125 mL) of plain milk
- Fresh vegetables with or without low-fat dip and whole grain crackers
- Sliced bell peppers served with hummus
- Half of a whole wheat English muffin pizza with cheese, peppers and tomato sauce
- Vegetarian chili (beans and chopped veggies)
- Vegetable soup and a whole wheat bun
- Whole grain pita and chunky tomato salsa
Snacks served with a vegetable or fruit
- Whole grain toast or pancakes
- Hard cooked or scrambled eggs
- Banana bread
- Plain yogurt
- Lentil dhal
- Tuna with 1 tbsp. mayo
- Dry whole grain breakfast cereal
- Hard cheese slices
Adapted from Healthy After Schools