Throughout most of our province, May is the month that fresh asparagus starts to arrive in our gardens and grocery stores.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using peeler, remove the tough outer skin of the bottom of the asparagus spears.
- Place asparagus on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Zest the lemon (just the yellow part of the peel, not the more bitter inner white part) and sprinkle zest on the asparagus. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the asparagus.
- Meanwhile, cut lemon in half and juice.
- Before serving, drizzle with the lemon juice.
Source: Nicole Fetterly, RD
Note: Childcare facilities with 8 or more children should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food.