Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Wash, peel and chop all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and heat for a few minutes until softened.
- Add carrots and celery, and stir. Cook until softened, about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook about two minutes.
- Add spinach, potatoes, zucchini and beans.
- Pour in stock and stir. Season with salt, pepper, dried basil and oregano.
- Cover and bring the soup to a boil, then add pasta.
- Turn down the heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender and the pasta is cooked (20 minutes or more). Add a little water if the soup becomes too thick.
Recipe adapted from Healthy After Schools
Note: Childcare facilities with 8+ children should check with their Licensing Officer about what is needed to serve food